Saturday, January 27, 2007

Info From Catherine's Boyfriend's Mom

So I sent an email out to most of my friends asking them if they doing anyone who was in high school in the mid to late 50's. Liz's dad was in high school in 1959 so I'm going to go spend a day with them later this month. Catherine also found out that her boyfriend's mom was in high school around 1956 but didn't finish for personal reasons much like Rizzo's. So Cat spent a while talking to her about that and wrote me an email about their conversation. Some of it on hair and make-up was a little interesting.

"They usually wore either white cotton button downs or sweaters with collars under the neck. They were saddle shoes with their socks pulled to their knees.Hair: She said that almost everyone had short hair. If a girl had long hair, they never wore it down and always had it in what she called a "fake" ponytail. She said they did this thing called a "ducktail". Basically, they would all get boy cuts, then pull the sides of their hair back, and then turn into a very small ponytail in the back. Yeah I was confused to. As for makeup, she said they had basically nude faces, with a little cheek, a little eye and that was it. Not many did lipstick, unless it was a dance or something."

It's kind of funny how different the times were then as apposed to now. I noticed in some of the pictures I was browsing this morning that the cheerleaders didn't even wear short-ish skirts. They were calf, almost ankle length. Good lord! How do you cheer like that? But then again, I don't really think cheerleading was a major competetive sport then either.


She also said the cheerleaders were snobbish and elitist. Catherine didn't say anything else about that, but it give me the impression that they weren't the stupid, idiotic stereotype that cheerleaders today are labled as at all. I'm sure they were perky, that's what cheering is, but it makes me think they were more sophisticated snobbish then valley girl ignorant, which is how Patty is always played. It sounds like she wasn't supposed to be that way, and looking at the script, I'm starting to think that's not what the writers meant either. But I might be way off base. Especially since it's hard to label an entire group of people as one thing.

That's all for right now!

No comments: